Best EPs of 2012 in RVA
Richmond saw many EPs released this year, and we decided to divide the EPs from the full-lengths in order to give as many folks accolades as we could.
The criteria for chosen EPs:
- up to nine (9) songs and/or twenty (20) minutes of music
- excellent quality of engineering
- surpasses other EPs in similar genre
- superior song construction
- degree of accessibility to audience
- personal taste (it’s true!)
Here we go:
photo by Chandler Moulton/Magazine 33
This honky tonk/alt-country jaunt was written by frontman James West and recorded by the incredible Bryan Walthall at Sound of Music Studios.
This female-fronted acoustic folk album feels dreamy and introspective. Engineered by Collin Pastore, this EP features Jacob Blizard (Parlor Shakedown) on ukulele and guitar.
This metalcore album kills it with Mike McIlyar's death metal vocals.
Beatmaker Ohbliv released a bunch of material this year, but this EP stood out with its catchy samples.
Old-school Metallica sounds and bad boys make this EP “smell like reefer and sound like rock and roll.”
Formerly Space Monster, Kenny Hamilton's Little Smoke is a new band formed in 2012. On Holidays EP is a hazy, druggy venture during the summer.
photo by Sheree @ Bauhaus
The guys in Herro Sugar are fans of word play and quirky pop rock.
photo by Joe Opyt
Dude has major flow skills and hella beats produced by Just Plain Ant.
photo by Ben Harsel
Three dudes have been jamming for years, and this math rock album exhibits how tuned in they are.
photo by Sounds of RVA
This live recording gives a glimpse into what a live show might consist of. In the meantime, “Cowboy Stripper” really howls.
photo by PJ Sykes/courtesy of Live at Ipanema
Modesty in album titling gives this percussive-heavy chamber pop EP a slight advantage.
This psych-rock outfit is the cure for the common classic rock.
Take the polka/Klezmer-friendly music of Russia and combine with several notable musicians in the city (Antonia Vassar, Nate Mathews, Clifton McDaniel, et al.), and you’ve got this EP.
This power pop trio brings back hair metal with RFTRX, recorded at Minimum Wage Studios.
This psych rock band combines saxophone and guitars for a sound slightly like Brian Jonestown Massacre mixed with Morphine.
Looks like we forgot this important album, because it was released all the way back in January.
photo by Sounds of RVA
He had us at throat singing, the first tones of the album. The gentle and intricate acoustic guitar is all the accompaniment Sullivan needs for his enchanting croonerisms.
photo by Sounds of RVA
This duo has wowed everyone all year, so it’s no surprise that this “bombastic” pair’s EP would be in the top 10.
photo by Patrick Moran
Fuzzy guitars and ghostly vocals psych you out in this trippy EP.
photo by Victoria Wilson
Americana and indie rock sandwich together in this band led by Erik Phillips.
photo by Luz de Luna Duran
Members of Municipal Waste belt out some Republican thrash in this concept album.
photo by Sarah Walor
The Grammy-nominated pop songstress is backed by some of the members of David Shultz and The Skyline.
photo by Niebla Basque
Featuring members of Battlemaster, Volture, and former Cannabis Corpse, Organ Donor’s demo is a death metal thrash preview of what’s to come.
Carpe TM is a post-punk sleeper of 2012.
photo by Jeremy Ledford
This is the best thrash and hardcore album from 2012, and it will probably stand the test of time.
Honorable Mentions (in no particular order):
Haints in the Holler - s/t
Lost Tribe - Lost Tribe Tape
The Nervous Ticks - Death to Videodrome Cassette
Shy, Low - s/t
Friend or Foe - Know Your Rights
Springtime - Demo
Occultist - Hell by our Hands
Black Brothers - Disconnect
Uncle Jimmy - First Demo
Strumpet -Collection of Songs
Mutwawa - Lamashtu Pazuzu
Wolfbite - Wolfbite EP
Volunteer - Spring
Hoax Hunters - EP
Cut the Architect’s Hand - Remove the Head, Destroy the Stairs
Promethean - Snow and Bodies EP
Ladies & Gentlemen - New Blood
Positive No - s/t
Lotus Grid - Little Place
EDIT: HOW could we forget Black Girls - Hell Dragon? Imagine that’s tied for #10.
- cliftongibbons likes this
- theperksofbeingkiara likes this
- locomotivesandroses likes this
- thefeatherless likes this
- brovibes reblogged this from soundsofrva
- drunkardsprayer reblogged this from soundsofrva
- drunkardsprayer likes this
- bestkept-secret likes this
- radio-omega reblogged this from jokesonyou and added:
- merahmerr likes this
- gnashville reblogged this from soundsofrva and added:
- sternlooks likes this
- kurtxmiller likes this
- itsgiinnayy likes this
- cathygianellihoyt reblogged this from soundsofrva
- heysaintsaens reblogged this from soundsofrva
- thebookworms likes this
- bauhaushaus reblogged this from soundsofrva and added:
- k0valch1k reblogged this from soundsofrva and added:
- kavonmik likes this
- molomo reblogged this from soundsofrva
- thespoonrooster likes this
- danke-danke reblogged this from thespoonrooster
- danke-danke likes this
- trashcrook reblogged this from soundsofrva and added:
- trashcrook likes this
- meatpriest likes this
- holographicamericans likes this
- thespoonrooster reblogged this from soundsofrva and added:
- coldon reblogged this from soundsofrva
- coldon likes this
- vikingrecording reblogged this from soundsofrva and added:
- brittlikesthings likes this
- dirtyrichmondreblogs reblogged this from soundsofrva
- mattklimas likes this
- chemicaltoiletbrothers reblogged this from soundsofrva
- chemicaltoiletbrothers likes this
- potoman likes this
- soundsofrva posted this